The RTS GATE-2 inspection is a more thorough inspection of the generator and requires the generator to be disassembled and rotor removed. This test is frequently performed in conjunction with a turbine major to ensure completion during the outage window. Besides the GATE-2 testing, RTS can also perform the generator disassembly and reassembly. The following testing will be performed as base inspection scope during GATE-2 generator testing.
- Borescope inspection of stator winding, rotor winding and blocking (as accessible), stator core step laminations and fingerplates
- Insulation resistance of RTD’s, stator winding, and rotor winding
- Stator Winding Test – Polarization Index (PI), Resistance, DC step voltage test. ELCID, Wedge map
- Rotor Winding Test – Polarization Index, Resistance, AC Impedance, RSO
- Visual inspection
- Insulation resistance tests
- Standardized format provided electronically (cd or electronic mail)
- Photographs of critical areas in the stator winding, core, and rotor.
- Dielectric absorption graph and analysis of insulation integrity
- Summary of all insulation and winding resistance measurements taken.
- Any anomalies reported immediately with the Final Report submitted within 10 days of inspection
- Reveals pending faults in winding of the rotor and stator
- Reveals deterioration of coil insulation caused by corona or end winding
- Reveals possible shorted core laminations
- Reveals loose slot support system
- Establishes a “base line” for evaluating future inspections and input for establishing planned major maintenance activities
- Option – Electrical Isolation
- RTS can also provide an estimate for the neutral and main leads disconnection prior to electrical testing and reconnect upon completion of testing.